Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Dulcimer Genius

I no longer keep it a secret that I casually attempt to play the hammered dulcimer, an old folk instrument of questionable origin. Looking like a harp laid on its side, the dulcimer is played with two wooden hammers which are padded differently depending on desired sound. It creates the most amazing sounds, and its an instrument with incredible resonance.

While it's fairly easy for beginners to pick up, it takes time and practice to play properly and with any speed. The hammered dulcimer has brilliant potential to be used as an original and innovative instrument - here I'm thinking Chris Thile's incredible command and use of the mandolin - but I've rarely encountered instrumentalists who seem to bring the dulcimer to a new level.

That is why Max ZT is my hero.

He plays with speed, precision, grace and originality... not a bad combination, and as a result his original compositions are amazing to both listen to and watch. "Juice" is one of the few dulcimer pieces that really digs deep into my soul and makes me want to create music that sounds even half as good; this video is his senior performance at Bard College.



There's a reason Max was the 2005 National Hammered Dulcimer Champion, and that's it.

I only say "Juice" is my favorite because I haven't had the chance to hear much more of his music. But that will change soon: he has The Duo Project: Two Roofs (with Luke Notary on percussion) releasing on April 29. I'm very excited to hear what fresh sounds it brings, because I'm sure it will be a treat to listen to. It's only $10 -- definitely a deal.

I'm such a sucker for unique instruments, and I feel like I've barely explored the world of the hammered dulcimer. I'm sure Max ZT isn't the only creative player out there, he's just the only one I've seen (thanks to the Internet for that).

Instruments are amazing. More people should experience them.

No comments: