Friday, April 11, 2008

The Best Damn Thing

Avril Lavigne has a new video for her latest single, the title track from her most recent album "The Best Damn Thing." Full of pink glitter, faux cheerleader-punk attitudes and glitzy twelve-year-old glam stylings, it's a real keeper of a video.



I'm actually - dare I say it - disappointed with the video? I feel like it's missing some of the fun that the the over-the-top song features (I mean, seriously: "I hate it when a guy doesn't understand / Why a certain time a month, I don't wanna hold his hand!").

When the album first dropped, the assistant style editor for Broadside (GMU's school newspaper) and I wrote a fabulously scathing review full of brilliant turns of phrase -- I only wish their website would properly archive content so I could link to it here. Ah well. Suffice it to say that I was not a fan, but it's definitely grown on me. The ridiculous factor totally won me over.

Anyway, the video could be better. My fingers are crossed for getting to see her on tour; while I ridiculed her latest musical efforts for a while, I understand now that it's all just meant as fun music. That works for me -- I know every word.

No comments: