Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Farewell, Skins

I don't watch much television these days, because I don't have the time and I get grossed out very easily. When I'm home I catch up on The Daily Show, Best Week Ever, and whatever season of Survivor is on. While I'm at school, though, the only show I've bothered to keep up with is the British drama Skins.

Skins is, at the core, The O.C. gone British, younger, and more amazing. It features a cast of very unique individuals and the characters they portray are beautifully realistic. What's even better is that, over the course of the two series [seasons], those characters develop like real people!



Unfortunately, Skins had its series finale two nights ago, and those characters won't be coming back. For series three, the creators of the show have decided to start over with almost a completely new cast. What a disappointment! My love for Skins was a love for the characters and the story. With a new cast - focused on Tony's younger sister Effy, who was mostly used as a rarely-speaking plot device - I'm just worried that the magic is going to be gone.

It's funny, because if the people behind the show had decided to end Skins and create a new show following a similar set of characters and their lives (basically, what they're doing for series three), I would have had no problem with it. But by calling it Skins, I feel like I'm being lied to. How often will they change casts, and therefore change stories? I don't like the unpredictability factor.

So I won't be watching series three of Skins, but I do highly recommend hunting down series one and two and enjoying the original story. It feels fresh and enthralling, and it's a nice escape from reality. The DVDs don't offer special features you can't already find online, which is a shame, but the show itself is definitely worth owning if your DVD player is the proper region.

No comments: